Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sweep question

Status
Not open for further replies.

atama

Industrial
Jul 31, 2007
IL
I want to make a quite basic open sweep (a circle along an open path), but I want a "tapered" sweep, i.e the end circle smaller than the start one. Is that possible in a sweep? It seems such a basic feature, just like the taper is easy in an extrusion (by draft outward/ inward). Do I have to use guide curves? - that's a drag.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you want to design a simple cone (both ends are flat) you can use sweep with a guide curve..but if you want to have this cone tapered from the top (see attached), you need to useSweep with one guide curve and another feature to do that cut..However, if you use a loft, you can simply use only loft to come up with this part..

I would recomend to use loft, beacuse in this case it's a better and easy option, you don't have to use guide curve, and it's much easier to control dimensions..

use guide curve only if you want to control the overall profile (usually comlex shapes)..I might send you another pix with a swept feature

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=3761e6d1-fa03-4422-9ac2-45f7744e8ad1&file=sweep.jpg
It depends on your path, if your path is an open curve or spline, you should use centerline loft for best results..
but if your path is simpler, just use regular loft that would save you a sketch..

for me, if the path is straight line, I'll go with revolve and save a lot of time..
Good Luck

Thanks guys, you helped a lot, the loft using centerline is a good option, so is finisher's advice - thanks for bothering to draw that for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back