Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sweeping solids

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwalters

Mechanical
Sep 23, 2009
US
First time poster, long time reader.

I've been struggling with this ability in solid edge since I started working with it. Essentially I can't get what I want with either the helix commands or using surfaces.

What I'm looking to achieve is a surface (cutout) that would represent a helical path cut with the bottom of a bull end mill with a corner radius. The axis of the helix is the Z axis in the mill.

I know these features can be added in CAM software, but I need them in an SE model for a molded part.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

since I started with SE it was impossible to get a correct
result out of this. In short: SE is not able to sweep
a volume/cut like a CAM program can do.

dy

You can create 2 helical paths using the curves by tables command then sweep the cutter cross-section using both as guide curves. This should give the effect of rotating the part while the cutter traverses the length and remains perpendicular to the part axis.
I have a macro that will generate the curves.
I'm willing to let you have a go with it but it's a bit flakey.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

I've done that too but it falls short (if using crosssection) in not representing the stopping point at the bottom of the helix. (the bottom face of the cutter) This outcome should be identical to a parallel helical cutout in that respect, no?

In the past I've been able to get around this (sort of) if my tool was a ball nose endmill by using a swept path with center axis constraints. It still falls short though when you want to make what the software considers a self intersecting cut however, at which point I resort to lofting.

I have had this problem with every cad package I have used. I had to use a sweep and then make the features for the end conditions separately. The accuracy depended on my understanding of what the geometry should look like. This wasn't too bad for 3 axis work. The path was all lines with no arcs. It was a real pain when I tried it for 5 axis work :(

Call up Gtac and file an enhancement request (there may already be one you can add your name to). This is a valuable tool.

Has anyone tried doing something with assembly features? Model the cutter as a part and do some sort of boleen subtraction? You might have to put the cutter part at each corner of the path.

Yes, the result should be the same as a helical cutout, but I'm never sure if it keeps everything parallel.
The stopping point could be done with a revolved cut.

FWIW, I used Intergraph EMS over 20 years ago and that could sweep solids - and it was Intergraph that invented Solid Edge!
I can't remember though if it had a helix.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back