Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Swept baffle

Status
Not open for further replies.

grunt58

Mechanical
Feb 4, 2005
US
I need to have a baffle sweep around a nozzle opening in between 2 cylinders. The baffle is open on the bottom. I'm having a heck of a time trying to visualize it. I've attached a part file with the geometry and some screenshots of my attempt. The last screenshot it what it would look like normal too. We figure the baffle will be formed from multiple pieces. Ideally, they would be sheet metal parts that we can flatten to cut out the flat pattern. Flatten surface would work as well. It doesn't need to be perfect and we realize there will be fit-up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Screenshot_2020-11-30_0948031_k1larr.jpg

Screenshot_2020-11-30_0948282_y7qpfj.jpg

Screenshot_2020-11-30_095017_nlhina.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Attached is how I would approach it. I just picked some random dimensions, you will need to modify them for your application but the approach should work. You can make this out of a single part that is rolled to the appropriate diameter. In the example part you will see that I start with a very short flat section to base the bends off of, I also keep very small flat sections at the ends so that the regular edge flange tool can be used. If you don't have those present the bend will not work and you will need to increase the flange length until the bend shows up in the preview again.
Baffle_Example_oappje.png

Just increase the dimensions of everything. To start, increase the width of the baffle in "Base-Flange1", increase the radius and length of the 2 edge flanges that make up the open ring to match the nozzle diameter plus some clearance and then change the inner and outer pipe diameters in "Cut-Extrude1" to match your application. Attached is one that has an ID of 30" and guesses for the rest that should be easier for you to modify.

Baffle_Example_ucajum.png

Interesting.
Just my 2 cents: I feel like it would be easier to bent and fit between the vertical cylinders if the faces were flat. And easier to weld if those faces were perpendicular to the cylinders faces. That would also avoid the side faces to go to infinity if the horizontal cylinder diameter is close to the diameter of the inner cylinder.
Part2_rwdpea.jpg
Part1_t5dfmg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back