Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Swiss Hammer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HectorB

Materials
Oct 11, 2003
HN
I have a Swiss Hammer (and the Anvil, too), but It's not calibrated. Actually, it reads 80.23 when the right reading should be 84.

How do I do the correction to accurate reanding?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Send it off to Soiltest, Durham-Geo, or the supplier you purchased it from. Most likely, you have a spring problem. If you insist on doing it yourself, change the spring and see what kind of reading you get. A knowledgeable repairman can put small spring crimpers to increase readout or loosen the spring to provide the correct anvil reading.

You can also use a known strength of concrete and take readings to compare and work up a correction factor. If the hammer is to far out then you may need to send it off and have it calibrated.

Comparing Swiss Hammer readings to concrete cylinders (or anything else for that matter) would have a higher variation than using the Hammer as is. The two tested reults would not be close - it's common knowledge that a Swiss Hammer reads higher than the actual strength of concrete. Swiss Hammer testing should only be used to provide a relative strength and should always (if possible) be compared to destructive test results, i.e., core testing. I see it all too often that Swiss Hammer results are used for acceptance testing when original test cylinder strengths are low.

I agree with dirtdoctor that Swiss (rebound) hammer results should be used in a qualitative sence, and should be interpreted with caution and judgment. Converse to dirtdoctor's experience, I recall a situation where a contractor was very 'generous' with the application of release agent on his concrete form work. Subsequent to the pour, a very soft skin of concrete was exposed after the forms were removed. The quality of the concrete immediately fell into question and a rebound hammer was used to evaluate the concrete. Even after a seamingly appropriate amount of grinding to prepare each rebound test location, the test surface remained soft producing a low rebound result. Coring was undertaken and revealed that the problem was surfacial only.

Good point SirAl - I agree with you that when surface defects are of interest, a Swiss Hammer is a good tool. I was referring to its use as a means of determining the structural integrity of concrete. Pressure from concrete producers has caused many consultants to do testing that they know is not valid - I guess that's life for us slump monkey ringleaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back