Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Switch design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechmanshan

Mechanical
Nov 23, 2021
US
Hello, I am building a test stand where I need to be able to switch between solenoids. As it is now the system is set up with three on/off switches, to switch from one solenoid to another you would have to turn off one then turn on another. I would like to have it where when you turn on one switch it turns the others off, ideally only one solenoid would have power at any given moment I would also like to have a master switch than turns them all off.

Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Also consider a multi-pole, multi-throw switch to select between solenoids... wire as needed.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Dear Mr. Mechmanshan (Mechanical)(OP)23 Nov 21 18:36
"... I am building a test stand where I need to be able to switch between solenoids. As it is now the system is set up with three on/off switches, to switch from one solenoid to another you would have to turn off one then turn on another. I would like to have it where when you turn on one switch it turns the others off, ideally only one solenoid would have power at any given moment I would also like to have a master switch than turns them all off."
1. Assuming that both solenoids are supplied by the same power source and the current rating is not exceeding say 10A*; it can be easily done by one rotary selector switch. For example with center 0deg "Off" , -45deg "1" and +45deg "2". There are such switches in the market off-the-shelf, at very low cost. Speak/explain to the electrical hardware shops, they should be able to help out.
2. In case the solenoids current exceed say 10A*; you can use the same rotary selector switch to switch on a [contactor] rated for the load.
3. Come back if you still face difficulties. Many of us would be able to help out.
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back