Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switch to Construction Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

csaeng

Civil/Environmental
Apr 22, 2008
US
Hi all,

I am an structural eng with MS civil engg working for abt 1 yr.For some time now i have developed deep interest in CM and really looking to move into it.

I guess someone within the field would be able to suggest on what should be the next step...

earlier for abt a yr i have worked into sceduling, estimation as an intern..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

csaeng

There is no easy answer. I would suggest starting where you are - work at effectively managing your area of responsibility. Work hard, ask for more responsibility, watch, learn and keep doing the very best job you can. Show up early, stay late and don't complain. Just keep tackling responsibilities as fast as they throw them at you.

Eventually you will be given more and more responsibility and if you have the attitude to get the job done, along with some construction knowledge, people skills, and common sense, you will get there.

Greg Lamberson, BS, MBA
Consultant - Upstream Energy

Do you work for a structural firm or a general firm with construction management options in house?

Some of the big construction management firms hire large numbers of new graduates every year (Kiewit and Turner for example). An MS and a year of experience, with some construction management involved, should make you more attractive. Honestly, this should be a relatively easy move if you are looking to change companies in the next month or two, as these firms will be doing thier canvassing for new hires as the university school year winds down.

Hi gwynn

Thanks a lot for that reply. Currently I am working for an Engg. firm I sure can target these companies to make the best.I am targeting companies with CM in my field (O & G). Would appretiate any more news or suggestions like you gave.

Thanks.

Also,
I am preparing for CAPM exam. Does someone know what value does it hold in the market and how much it would add to my current education.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back