Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

switching careers midstream? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lastviking

Mechanical
Dec 16, 2007
US
I'm a 32 year old mechanical engineer with 10 years experience in machine design. I still enjoy designing machines but have become a bit disenchanted with the up and down cycles of capital equipment and being laid off every two years.

I've started to consider other industries/fields where I could utilize my talents (and existing engineering degree)and HVACR seemed a possible fit. I am an EIT but not a PE. And since my professional experience is not in HVACR, I would need some additional training. My questions to forum HVAC engineers are:

1. What are the prospects for this industry? Do you see growth? Is there low turnover?

2. How would I go about aquiring proper training for this field? Is ASHRAE training appropriate or what about online courses?

3. I realize that classroom training does not replace on the job experience so I would probably have to take a pay cut since I would technically be entry level. What could I generally expect for a salary range as a rookie and then with more experience?

Any and all input is appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Machine design is more mechanics of materials and stress analysis where HVAC design is more thermodynamics, fluids, and heat transfer. You should be relatively familiar with these latter subjects.

A large proportion of the HVAC industry is new installations so the market is somewhat dependent on new buildings and general economic growth. I expect that as energy efficiency becomes more important then there will be more retrofit and redesign work (which is actually more time consuming than a new design). I have seen layoffs in the industry but they have not been as cyclical as the capital equipment industry.

There is a recent thread called "Where to go to learn the Science of HVAC Design?" ( which should help on education and training.

states that the starting salary for newly graduated MEs is about $51,000. You can take a salary survey at
If you understand your thermo, fluids, and heat xfr, and are quick to learn, then I think that you probably could go into an engineering firm with a good mentor that would look over your shoulder and give you good advice without taking much more than a basic seminar in HVAC design so you can understand the terminology and the basic systems concepts. After a couple of good projects assisting then you will be on your way.

lastviking-- welcome to the club!

I've got a couple of years on you and yes, it is tough to make a career change at this point but it is not too late.

I went to a local trade school for 6 months at a cost of $8000. I was a full time student and unable to work so things have been tight lately,,, and I suspect will continue for my first two years of employment.

My best friend of 25 years has been working in HVAC for his whole life and has owned his own company for 10 years. He is always busy and it seemed I had to work twice as hard just to earn what he was making.

My first career was as a building contractor and I was always traveling and working long hours only to take an unwanted vacation of 1 month for every 3 months worked....Something had to change....this was fine for my 20's but I'm now in my mid 30's and was looking for something with stability.

The school I went to was small (30) students total. We had 300 class hours and 300 shop hours. They had all kinds of things to work on like ice-makers, walk-ins, package units, split systems and gas and electric furnaces. We also practiced system charging, brazing, and troubleshooting.

At the time of graduation I received a diploma and EPA card. The class took field trips to local service companies and some larger schools and hospitals.

The starting wage for a new service tech is $12 to $18 per hour so I was not to excited about the pay cut. The thing is that I see this as a long term investment for my future and I know for a fact that top Lead Techs can pull 6 figures with a lot of hard work within 5 years. This is my plan and I can live with that kind of pay working for somebody.

Once you get started it will pay to get all of the extra training such as NATE certification and join some trade organizations such as RSES. Anything you can do to set yourself apart from the next guy just working for a paycheck will help you to get to the top pay level sooner than later.

I personally am going for a job that works on the larger equipment such as chillers and boilers,, research has shown me that these guys usually make more and have steady year round work. It is harder to get on at one of these companies because they provide most of the training and have a sizable investment in you,,,also they tend to have low turnover rates.

Hope this helps and good luck with your adventure.

Many thanks gepman and justincase! Your insights are very helpful.

RossABQ: I'm in souteast PA, about 15 miles north of Philly. I'm considering a future move to northeast PA. There's not much industry up there and working as a machine design engineer is a pretty hopeless endeavor.

I was thinking if I got some good experience with HVAC design I might be able to create my own opportunities working for myself in residential/light commercial HVAC.

Where are you located?

I'm in ABQ, Albuquerque.

In my career I've switched from power industry (A/E side) to power industry (owner side) to industrial HVAC A/E work. Many of these industries are cyclic and with all the concerns for energy, HVAC is going nice and steady. I think it is rare to stay in one area of your discipline for an entire career these days!

I have been in the industrial side of the refrigertion field since 1970 and was branded as knowing only refrigeration. I changed to a EPC firm this year after someone finally recognized that refrigeration is a fairly broad field. You have to have good working knowledge of Thermodynamics, heat transfer and fluid flow and work with compressors, varing refrigerants, heat exchangers, pressure vessels, piping, oil systems, pumps, motors, engines, turbines, controls, energy evaluations and the codes and standards that appliy to each item.

The HVAC side was boring to me and been happy with the industrial side of the business.

I would urge you to get as much field exposure as possible as soon as possible. Also, get that PE. While you may not need it, it does add some committment on your part for a customer.

Best of luck in 2008.

Ken
KE5DFR

lastviking,

You may also want to contact the local ASHRAE Chapter, there would probably be some good contacts there for networking, insight into the local dynamics as well as training opportunities. ASHRAE has technical courses available online as well. But the mentor approach through a local firm may be the best place to start, with ASHRAE Learning Institute courses as supplementary information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back