Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Switching from Buildings to Bridges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calif

Structural
Jul 4, 2003
US
I am thinking of maybe switching from building design to bridge design in terms of structural engineering. If I could get the opportunity to do so, should I expect a pay cut? Also, do you think the transition from buildings to bridges is difficult to do due to each being a specialize?

Thanks

K.

The resisant virtues of the structure that we seek depend on their form; it is through their form that they are stable, not because of an awkward accumulation of material. There is nothing more noble and elegant from an intellectual viewpoint than this: to resist through form. Eladio Dieste

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I switched from bridges to buildings and they are completely different professions. Depending on how many years you have in building design, I would suspect a pay cut.

If you are planning on designing typical concrete/steel highway bridges, I think you will find the transition fairly easy.

Why do you want to design bridges? How many years do you have in buildings?

I have about 5 1/2 years in buildings. It has been a struggle between finding a descent job in that field. I have ethical issues at my place of employment and this is the second time it has happen to me. I think bridge may be different since it is reviewed under the DOT. Here, I am just producing a product like a factory worker and there is no quality control and responsibility is shifted on the design engineer who may or may not have the experience to do a job.

The resisant virtues of the structure that we seek depend on their form; it is through their form that they are stable, not because of an awkward accumulation of material. There is nothing more noble and elegant from an intellectual viewpoint than this: to resist through form. Eladio Dieste

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back