Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Switching Gears - Buildings to Industrial 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash060

Structural
Nov 16, 2006
US
Just took a job with a big industrial firm in the structures department. My experience has mainly been with building design. I was told that there is very little involvement with architects, and that most of the work is platforms, racks, pipe and equipment supports and such. Also, that alot of the clients don't required S&S drawings.

Is there a big leap from going to industrial structural engineering from building structural engineering? Am I going to be completely out of my element? I figured steel is steel and concrete is concrete, but I wanted to get the opinions of engineers that have gone from one side to the other.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have been in both worlds and industrial or institutional is nice. A facilities position with big college campus or a medical center can be rewarding and relaxing at the same time.

Another nice aspect is being part of a company's overhead, not a unit of production. The industrial money comes in by selling as many products as possible, not by whipping the professionals into working as many billable hours as possible.

I know an architect that you can call every now and then if you get to having withdrawals from daily irrational thinking, impossible demands, and unspeakable deadlines. If you'd like, he would be happy to relieve you of half your pay for "coordination." He could even give you a 6" square chase to run three 4" pipes through, or a 9" high ceiling plenum through which you have to air condition 25,000 square feet of building. Fond memories. [shadessad]

Just let me know. I'm sure he would welcome the opportunity.

Best to you,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

Industrial is different...but still a challenge. Instead of architects, now you get to deal with mechanical guys who want access to every pipe/valve but still remain within the confines of OSHA regulations for clearances. Trust me, just because they have engineer next to do their name does not make them any less whimsical than an architect can be!

I left industrial to go to buildings. I miss some of the projects from industrial. It's just different...instead of working on one building which is the entire project, now you might have 5-10 different structures which must be coordinated all within one project. Just a different set of skills.

It's all still structural.....shear, moments, and deflections control everything no matter whether they are caused by pipe thrust, temperature, or occupancy loads!

PE, SE
Eastern United States

"If a builder builds a house for someone, and does not construct it properly, and the house which he built falls in and kills its owner, then that builder shall be put to death!"
~Code of Hammurabi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back