Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

SWPPP SEC ESC Terminology

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc27315

Civil/Environmental
Aug 21, 2009
US
I prepare SWPPPs for the Civil Firm I work for. I have a question on the terminology of three acronyms. What is the difference between a SWPPP, a Sediment and Erosion Control Plan (SEC), and an Erosion and Sediment Control Plan (ESC). I have heard that an SEC Plan is the "Site Map" as it's referred to in the NPDES Construction General Permit Section 7.2.6. I believe the SWPPP is the document that contains appendices such as the SEC, General Location Map, NOI, etc. I also wonder if an SEC Plan or an ESC Plan are the same thing. Is anyone able to shed some more light on these three acronyms? Many thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A SWPPP is required (by the construction general permit) and will help you prevent stormwater pollution A SWPPP is more than just a sediment and erosion control plan. It describes all the construction site operator’s activities to prevent stormwater contamination, control sedimentation and erosion, and comply with the requirements of the Clean Water Act.

Most SWPPPs are written documents that describe the pollution prevention practices and activities that will be implemented on the site. It includes descriptions of the site and of each major phase of the planned activity, the roles and responsibilities of contractors and subcontractors, and the inspection schedules and logs. It is also a place to document changes and
modifications to the construction plans and associated stormwater pollution prevention activities.

When developing a SWPPP, it is important to understand the difference between erosion control and sediment control. Erosion control measures (e.g., mulch, blankets, mats, vegetative cover) protect the soil surface and prevent soil particles from being dislodged and carried away by wind or water. Sediment control measures remove soil particles after they have been dislodged (typically through settling or filtration). It is usually easier and less expensive to prevent erosion than it is to control sedimentation.

The Erosion and Sediment Control Plan (ESCP) provides detailed information about the construction site, and serves as a blueprint for the location, installation, and maintenance of the erosion and sediment control measures.

Thank you very much for your reply. So, is the name of the "blueprint" ESCP instead of SECP? I realize it's probably just semantics, but I'd really like to know if the blueprints are called "Erosion and Sediment Control Plan" or "Sediment and Erosion Control Plan"? I just want to know what the standard is so that I make sure to label the "blueprints" correctly and consistently.

Also, are the SWPPP and "blueprint" independent? Is the SWPPP part of the "blueprint"? Or is the "blueprint" part of the SWPPP?

Thanks for your help on this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back