Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SWX `08 : All part data has disappeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kensai

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2002
GB
Hi there!

We have installed SWX `08 on brand new hardware.
Converted all our old SWX 2005 files using SWX converion wizard.

Opened various assemblies discovering that they now had mate errors (when they were saved in SWX 2005 they were fine) Also some of the parts in said assemblies were missing all their featues, sketches, in fact, EVERYTHING was missing for some parts.

Solidworks `08 S.P0.1
Core 2 duo 6850
2GB 800Mhz RAM
AMD 3350 Video
320GB SATAII
WinXP Pro SP3

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First, I hope you have contacted your reseller.

Second, do you have backups of your old 2005 files?

If so find one of the files that did not translate properly with the conversion wizard, and then open it in SolidWorks 2008. What happens?

Is the info in your signature the specs for the new computer?
If not what are the specs for the new PC?

Did you install SW08 SP0.0 and then update to SP0.1?

Did you disable the anti-virus software before installing and updating?

starfishingqa0.gif

One thing that happens is that things change especially when you jump from 05 to 08 and the files might have seemed fine in 05, but thing have changed in 08 and maybe something that worked in 05 doesn't work like it was supposed to 08 or what worked in 05 was not suppose to and should have failed in 05 but now it changed in 08 and you are seeing errors. There is nothing your VAR or SW can really do to figure out what that change was when you jump 3 versions. All you can do is go through each part convert it to 08 and do a Ctrl-Q. If the part fails and is missing, most likely the case is that a feature is failing and in end your going to have to repair it. I had this discussing last Wednesday with a customer and it was as easy as a simple relationship and plane location. Then the part returned. It could be that easy for you or then again maybe not.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

The specs in my signature are my CURRENT/NEW hardware setup.

I do not have any part in the installation of new software within this company.

Our VAR came in last week and diagnosed our setup without solving the problem.

After I changed the permissions/attributes of my files some of them were fixed. Some though are still in the `missing' state.

All of our files have been backed up many times over for years before this.

Solidworks `08 S.P0.1
Core 2 duo 6850
2GB 800Mhz RAM
AMD 3350 Video
320GB SATAII
WinXP Pro SP3

What's an AMD 3350 Video? Is that your Video Card? I see the ATI 3300 is supported... not sure if that is a typo in your signature. If not, I don't see your VC is supported.

However, whether it is or isn't I don't think that is your problem.

Do you have any features in the tree or do you show some that has failures in the tree?

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

No features are shown in the tree, where previously there were many.

Solidworks `08 S.P0.1
Core 2 duo 6850
2GB 800Mhz RAM
ATI FIRE GL V3350 Videocard
320GB SATAII
WinXP Pro SP3

I have also run into this going from SW07 SP4.0 to SW08 SP0.1. I have only run into this on one project so naturally I figured it must have been something I did. I lost all feature information of the components of some subassemblies and they have become "dummy" blobs. I found this very perplexing and irritating. I haven’t taken the time to reinstall SW07 and look into our backups. I am open to the possibility that I did something incorrectly but I am at a loss as to what that might have been. Any help or just a shoulder to cry on would be helpful

There is no bodies what so ever...All you see is origin... maybe. Sometimes I have seen this and you only get the planes nothing below that. What SW has informed me is that the files are corrupted.

Have you tried using the backup and instead of using the conversion wizard just open them up and save them to see if the data stays?

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back