Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SWX numbering of Parts, Assemblies, and Drawings

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeEngineer

Automotive
Jun 3, 2002
US
Due to our newness in the 3D realm I probally have way to many questions but we are trying to make this SWX transition very good so the upper management will see the benefit to the new program. So far yall have been a great help & I value each and every opinion we have been receiving here.

Here are my new questions.

1) With the new advent of parts, assemblies, and drawings, what practices have everyone adapted for numbering sequences?
2) Do you have your parts in a localized directory availible for everyone to see on the net and use?
3) Are the parts arbritary numbering due to the fact they are not the actual drawings that are seen on the shop floor?
4) Are the assembly numbering the same way as parts?
5) How do you allow people to know by seeing the titleblock what parts and assemblies are tied to these drawings?
6) Do you have examples of how or what kind of numbering sequence you are using?
7) When you do sheet metal drawings in a drawing file do you create sheet 1 of 2, 2of2 etc?

Sorry for the long question though. Just thought I would pick everyone's brains.

Thanks for your time. Keep up the good work.

Dean
Supreme Corp.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1) With the new advent of parts, assemblies, and drawings, what practices have everyone adapted for numbering sequences?
At my company use 5-digit, non-significant part numbers for all Parts, Assys and Drawings. The drawings carry the same number as the Part or Assy they represent. This hasn't caused any problems, since all 3 are different file extensions.

2) Do you have your parts in a localized directory availible for everyone to see on the net and use?
We have all our parts in "item" subfolders that start with the first 2 digits of the part number. We also have seperate folders for standard hardware (nuts, bolts, washers, etc) and OEM parts that never change (motors, springs, gears, etc). The "item" subfolders are write-protected, and hardware/OEM folders are available for all to access. This is an old system, since we are now using a PDM solution (WorkGroup Technology's ProductCenter, a SW Gold Partner).

3) Are the parts arbritary numbering due to the fact they are not the actual drawings that are seen on the shop floor?
Our drawings use the same part or assembly number that the drawing represents.

4) Are the assembly numbering the same way as parts?
For my company, yes. Different companies do different things.

5) How do you allow people to know by seeing the titleblock what parts and assemblies are tied to these drawings?
I am assuming you are talking about the "Used In Assembly" or "Next Assembly" block on some drawings. My company does not use this system, though I think with a little work with Custom Properties and the API, it would be "easy" to populate this info on your drawings.

6) Do you have examples of how or what kind of numbering sequence you are using?
Straight and simple 5-digit, non-significant parts numbers, like 21234, 22800, 27054...

7) When you do sheet metal drawings in a drawing file do you create sheet 1 of 2, 2of2 etc?
At my company we do very complicated sheet metal designs (75% of all parts) that can be manufactured on press brakes. We don't do stampings by forms such as automotive door panels or hoods. Some of our drawings can range to 3-4 sheets of details, section views and configurations, all with no trouble. In these cases, the drawings are 1 of 2, 2 of 2, etc... "The attempt and not the deed confounds us."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back