Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Symbol in a Part Attribute NX7.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry1423

Mechanical
Aug 19, 2005
US
Can I show the degree symbol in my "part name" part attribute.
It will need to show up properly in my drawing parts list, as well as Teamcenter.

I am on NX7.5

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you're talking about the 'value' of an Attribute, at least as far as NX is concerned, there's no problem including a '°' symbol in the text string. However, I think you will find that if you're talking about the actualy 'Part Name' assigned to the NX part file, that this is limited to only legal file naming characters, of which the degree symbol is NOT one of them.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

In NX 7.5 if you want the degree symbol to show-up in the NX Parts List note on the Drawing you can't use cowski's suggestion. Instead you will need to use the NX special character '$s' to get the '°' to appear. If you use the ASCII character number '248' you'll get a '' instead (the NX default for all non-supported characters).

That being said, starting with NX 8.0, if you've opted to use what we now call 'Standard Fonts' (TrueType and OpenType) when creating Drawing annotation, then cowski's approach will work, at least for the VALUE of an Attribute. However, even in NX 8.0, Part 'file names' are still limited to a sub-set of ASCII characters. The basic rule-of-thumb is that if Windows allows you to use a particular character in say the name of a Word or Excel file, then that character will be legal for an NX file name. If Windows doesn't support it, neither will NX.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I have a similar problem with using symbold within attributes.
I have a drawing border which requires a standard tolerance area. The values are based on the type of design.
The character string on the drawing should read ".03 ±.05 ±.005 ±.0005 ±0.5°"
The special character symbols are ALT-241 and ATL-248 and denoted by <$t> and <$s> respectively when defining a note.
I assigned a string to the attribute TOLER_LINE1 as <$t>.03 <$T>.05 <$T>.005 <$T>.0005 <$T>0.5<$s>
When I create a drawing note as <W@TOLER_LINE1> the result looks like this: <$t>.03 <$T>.05 <$T>.005 <$T>.0005 <$T>0.5<$s>
The symbols are not interpreted from the attribute.
I am using NX6
I figure it's related to a special escape character of something but I haven't figured it out and need help.
Yes, the work around is just editing the note but I want to create a GRIP routing to querry the operator for the attributes.

Both Cowski and John are correct depending on....
John are speaking of whats inside the Blockfont, Which no other than the native English speaking can use.
The Europe , which I speak for, cannot use Blockfont since our languages contains more and other characters than contained in the Blockfont. ( the blockfont is ASCII, "American code set-something" and nothing more.)
Europe (those using Latin Characters) are recommended to use the font Latin_extended instead since it supports the "European characters". ( this is before NX8.0 / before the "standard fonts" as mentioned by John above.)
The Latin_extended is provided in the NX install since many versions back.
So:
In the Blockfont: "°" = $s
In the latin_extended : "°" = "Alt 248" ( or copy the ° from here to your note in NX)

A few years back fonts named "Hershey...." began to be installed with NX. These fonts also have support for more than ASCII and use the "Alt 248" instead of the "$s"
A little ago i was trying to include the symbol "√" ( Square root)in a NX Note. - It exists in the Hershey fonts.

Regards,
Tomas

In the NX7.5 documentation... Design... Drafting... Drafting user interface... Use control characters and blockfont characters to generate symbols... Use control characters to format text.

Part Attribute
<W&@attr_title>

"W" indicates a reference to a part attribute. "&" is an optional control character that specifies that the part attribute value is to be interpreted such that control character sequences display as their corresponding symbols. If the & is not present, the part attribute value displays exactly as entered. "attr_title" indicates the referenced attribute title.

the "?" means the text is calling an attribute that doesn't exist. (yet)
For example if you set up your drawing templates and like to present say "material" from the part.
If a component with this "material" attribute isn't present when setting up the note in the template, the note will contain the "?".

For some reason strings with this ? will not update until one saves the drawing.
If the string doesn't contain the ? the note will update immediately.

Regards,
Tomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back