Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Symmetrically Opposite Details?!?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewboy23

Mechanical
Jan 30, 2004
US
So I've gotten a CATProd that has obvious RH and LH details that are sym. opposite. But there is no symmetry applied in the tree anywhere. My question is, how was it done. The CATParts have the same name, but are opposite. You have one and the other changes. I cannot figure it out.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here is a screen dump. "ARM ADJUSTABLE rev4" is a single CATProd. But is shown as RH and LH with obviously sym. opposite details.

catia-symmetry.bmp

Drewboy23 - look at the part body tree of each catpart (LH and RH). If they are linked you will see 1 of them with a green dot or a bluish P.

Regards,
Derek

I don't see anything in the tree either....

Kind of hard to tell from the geometry, but it could be 2 instances of the same perch, but constrained to flip one from the other.

Ok - judging by the position of the 'slider' on the LH side of the screen the 2 parts are at different levels in the assembly structure. It's difficult to tell from the image, so please excuse the question. Is the Front Perch part truly symetrical or is it possible it can be fitted in either hand? If so it's possible it's another instance of the same part and the instance name has been modified?

If not, investigate further by switching on display of 'Parameters' and 'Relations' in Part Infrastructure -> Display. Also look at menu function Edit -> Links, and 'Parents & Children' by right clicking on a feature. These should expose the relationships & links which may help understand the behaviour you get.

Hi,

can you look at the bottom of "ARM ADJUSTABLE rev4" to see if there is any assembly symmetry...

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

I did look there, looked everywhere in the tree. No assembly symmetry applied anywhere.

I can send the file if you want to look at it.

Long time since I worked in V4, I gave a quick look at assembly and symmetry in my opinion has been defined in V4.

The parts are made with simple features, therefore the past special CATIA_SPEC option worked fine, and V5 constrains used to prevent movements.

I downloaded the the file and, well - I think the mystery of why the opposite hand of part FRONT PERCH rev3.1 changes when you change its mirror image.

The fact is they are not seperate parts - they are both modelled in one part.

Bad news is it seems that has been the general approach to the other parts too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back