Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Synchronized generator with different nominal voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

eskim

Electrical
May 25, 2003
ID
Hi All,

Our existing generators are 11,000 V +/-5% output voltage. We set AVR 3% above nominal volt (11,350). Gens are running with voltage control set.

What do you think If a new gen 10,500 V +/-5% will be synchronized with existing system. It should run 8% over its nom volt.

Regards,
Sumadi

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If it doesn't trip, it will consume massive reactive power. Is the +5 % of the 10.5 kV machine an absolute limit?

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
100 % recycled posting: Electrons, ideas, finger-tips have been used over and over again...

I expect that you will be running on or above the V/Hz limit for continuous operation. If you aren't then the reactive capability of the machine will be severely limited if you push the terminal voltage up to 11kV. You will probably find that discharge activity is higher at 11kV than at 10.5kV.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Can't you adjust AVR of 10,5kV generator to 11kV? The machines we use have same stator winding for either 10, 10,5 or 11kV.
I don't know if your generator can do that, but check with generator manufactor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back