Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Syngas Turbine Output 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donkin

Petroleum
Jul 28, 2003
GB
Can anyone let me know where I am going wrong. I am doing a calc to find how much power my refinery syngas will produce and I get some astronomical numbers.

Syngas

LHV 41.5 MJ/nM3 or 43.5 MJ/kg
Density 0.95 kg/nM3

Quantity 11,200 tonne/day

Any help appreciated

SD

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my opinion, your units are not correct when it comes to the power output. It should be [kW] and/or [MW].

Furthermore, more input data is required to answer you question adequately and fuel either HHV and/or LHV will just indicate the specific fuel consumption or just fuel consumption ...

For example, compression pressure ratio, gas turbine inlet temperature, mass flow rate etc.

Here are a few representative plots describing the gas turbine (Brayton Cycle) operation.

img5.gif

img6.gif

img7.gif

img8.gif

img9.gif

I have had a chance to do some additional numeric calculations.

I can report that for 1 [kg/s] of air, there should be 0.015 [kg/s] of fuel (natural gas/methane). Gas turbine inlet conditions are 15 [atm] and 1,500] resulting in getting 462 [kW] as the power output. Daily fuel requirements are as follows: 1,296 [kg/day].

I have to admit that your final number in terms of the fuel consumption is no longer as strange as I initially thought ...

I would suggest that gas turbine operating conditions be spelled out for the purpose of good engineering comparison ...

FOURe - Thanks for the calc, it comes out the same as mine only I have 11,200 tonnes per day of fuel which both you and I get about 4,000MW.

Donkin:

No problem.

The numbers are huge when it comes to the fuel requirements on daily basis for the given thermal input and power output basis.

Again, for next time just provide some information on what the other input data are.

In the end, I was able to put the puzzle together and your numbers are OK ...

This was a good and interesting "assignment" for me -- usually I do calculations for 1 [kg/s] of air getting into a gas turbine power cycle ...

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back