Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SYP

Status
Not open for further replies.

37ed

Structural
Jan 19, 2005
US
A Year ago as a favor to a Arch friend, I Designed a wood stud House for a friend of his.
I speced southern yellow pine for load consistance.
He called me and said that the owner was very upset with me because the studs "where going crazy".
His walls are bowing,outside sheathing popping out,and brick walls cracking.
Anybody seen this before.What is up with this studs.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yellow pine is susceptible to moisture. Several years ago I had a yellow pine floor that got wet. It basically went crazy and buckled (I had to replace it).

I would guess that it was not properly dried (cured) before installation, or that there is a moisture problem in the house.

Yes, agree..sounds like either the wood wasn't kiln dried properly, or, more probably, the framing was exposed to excessive rain/moisture prior to enclosing the house and once the air conditioning is turned on - it all shrinks up.

It's not necessarily because its SYP, though. All wood behaves this way, but with different degrees.

37ed,

Nail and screw pops are a standard problem on new houses. The wood looses moisture and shrinks when the A/C is turned on. The point can't be shoved in any farther thus the head pops out. Screws do it too but not as bad. The longer the fastener the worse the problem seems because there is more shrinkage along the length.

Locally SYP studs are uncommon. You might check in an unfinished area to see what was actually used. There should be a grade stamp on the studs. We see SPF or DFL.

As to the cracking of the brick, you should go look at it yourself. I have inspected numerous houses and never seen brick cracking attributed to warping or twisting studs.

Hope this helps.

The cracking brickwork may be indicative of a different and more substantial problem with the structure. Is it founded on a reactive clay?

You mention that you did this work as a favour to a friend of yours for a friend of his. Where do you stand on liability if your friend's friend gets sufficiently upset to pursue a legal remedy to his (not insignificant) problem?

You may need to advise your professional indemnity insurer that you have a notifiable incident.

SYP for joists/rafters (warp more, but higher strength for bending),
Hem-fir for studs (comparable compressive strength to SYP, but less likely to warp),
Douglas-Fir-Larch for columns.

Thats how we do it in my part of Texas, ask around to see what is common in your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back