Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

system registry 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bart1

Mechanical
Oct 31, 2001
CA
We have 20 computers connected to a novell network.We use autocad 2002.When we log on and open autocad a message "Failed to update the system registry, try using Regedit" comes up. It doesn't affect everyone but most. It did mine too except I noticed that it did not come up today.I asked the IT group but they are puzzled about it.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Bart1

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What many people do not know is that A2k2 uses the registry to store profile information and other pertinent data to the program. If you are starting A2k2 using a default shortcut placed on the desktop or on the start menu, what you are doing in effect is automatically updating the registry info for the profile that is specified by the /p C:\.......\this.arg If you create a new shortcut and don't specify a profile then it will automatically default to the last used profile and not attempt to update the registry. Of course, you must have permissions locally to edit the registry. I am not sure how Novell handles registry functions for typical users, but I would presume that registry functions are reserved for administrators and those with administrative priviledge locally.

We had to allow users "Power User" status on their local machine to allow ACAD to run. This is the WIN2K name for allowing a user to write to the registry. Are you using Windows 2000?

How do I respond to borgunit. Yes it is windows 2000 professional. Would you have more inf to the q. about system registry.
Thanks
bart1

Hi,
Under the Control Panel of Windows 2000, there should be a program call Users and Passwords. It is here where an administrator will have to set the "type of user" that each person who logs on to the computer is. People can be logged on as Administrator, Power User, User (restricted), and Guest. Windows 2000 normally starts people as Restricted Users. They will need to be moved up to Power Users so registry edits can take place (how AutoCAD works). I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back