Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Resources for Rapid Surfacing and Other Functions

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjkeith

Mechanical
Feb 25, 2023
CA
Hi,

I've been doing some work with some scanned STL files recently to clean them up and recreate proper models for the tools. I have the process down pretty well but had a question about how I can speed up the process. I am currently using NX2015.

I'm primarily projecting a grid onto a surface and then using rapid surfacing to recreate the surface. It works quite well with some minor adjustments but the process is slow. The actual rapid surfacing procedure can take 10-15 minutes or more for my computer to run.

It's a new laptop with plenty of resources available (Ryzen 5 5625U CPU, 24 GB of ram). While this is running I checked my control panel and my computer is only using <20% of CPU and <35% of ram. NX is only using 2.5 GB of ram even though there is another 14-16 available. Am I wrong in thinking this should be utilizing more of the system resources to speed it up?

Any tips on how I can check on something like this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not an IT person, but I believe there is a way to allow NX to use more CPU & RAM.
It is probably currently running at its capability.

Jerry J.
UGV5-NX1899

I agree with Jerry, NX is probably running with as much resources as it can use. I wouldn't worry about low ram utilization; that's a good thing. As far as cpu load is concerned, mutli threading in all cad/cam/cae varies. For NX cad I think parasolid boolean operations are multi-threaded and, as you can see, rapid surfacing is not as much. I believe NX Simulations are multi threaded but I have not used them. NX cam has many operations which are either multi threaded or parts of them are multi threaded.

As far as a setting is concerned, I haven't seen anything that concerns multi threading, only settings in cam for the number of cores to be used simultaneously for single thread operations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back