Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System VARIABLE for block insertions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfee

Industrial
Apr 22, 2002
US
Inserting a block into a current drawing session has taken on some interesting behavior- almost as if a system variable has been reset or something.

I inserted a block & realized it needed to be redrawn. I redrew the block in the file stored in our blocks folder. I returned to my drawing, and tried to reinsert it by selecting browse instead of the internal block from the drop-down list. Instead of asking me if I wanted to redefine (& replace) the internal block with the external one, it reinserts the internal block.

Is there a system variable that controls this behavior ?

Tks-

C.Fee

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Solidworks does this too, if you break the taboo of having the same name for different parts or versions, it will substitute the file that's open or that it used last, etc. for the one that you want it to use.

Thanks but- in the past you would over-write the internal definition with the block on disk by selecting it via browse, and ACAD would ask you if you want to redefine all internal occurrences of the block. This ACAD did that once and after that it would allow you to browse to the disk based block, pick it up, but re-insert the internally defined block instead and not ask if you want to redefine. Just ignore that you'd picked the external block. Almost like a variable had been reset or something.

Yes I can type stuff in to force the action I want, but you know, the path and the block name and typing the command in the first place, well, thanks but- see above.

I guess we have another "improvement" to work around. Oh well.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back