Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Systems of equations...

Status
Not open for further replies.

starfox

Computer
Oct 21, 2002
US
Anybody know a quick and (somewhat) easy way to solve systems of equations using matrices...? Any time I think of elimination, I think of too many lines of code for something that should be simpler. I've made a 3d renderer in vb (actually envelop - nearly vb4 but free). It's gone nicely, but I'm doing some work solving curves based on certain reference points (complex curved surfaces, could be quite interesting...), and I need to be able to solve systems of equations. I believe Cowski had something on that...
Thank you,
Starfox

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I do have some routines for solving systems of linear equations. It is a personal project that unfortunately has not received much attention lately, but I'll be glad to pass along what I have so far if you are interested. Contact me at jmgsjg823@hotmail.com and I'll email you a copy.

Or you could do a search for topics such as Gauss-Jordan, Gauss elimination, or LU decomposition; that might turn up something useful for you.

Good luck!

Thanks, i just found a fast way to do it (at least enough so for my purposes). I used the iterative method - that meant all i had to do was change all of the signs except y, divide the coefficients, and drop the actual coefficient to be found to implement it. When you drop the coefficient, the 0 value lets you cycle thru the matrix without any hassle. However, I'd still like to see how you did it!
Thanx,
Starfox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back