Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

T.I.G. Welder or Welding

Status
Not open for further replies.

bourne03

Mechanical
Apr 3, 2003
MY
hi,

whenever its mentioned T.I.G. Welder or Welding, can someone
tell me what does the initials T.I.G. stands for ?

hope to know.

regards,

bourne

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

the TIG anachronym stands for

Tungsten Inert Gas welding

(ie. an arc is struck between a tungsten electrode and the metal surface to be welded)

The process can be performed with or without a filler metal.
Gas shielding is required.

Hope this helps.

bk

I think TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) is the more widely known achronym.

If you search "TIG Welding" and "GTAW Welding" on google you get 20,200 and 791 hits respectively.

Metalguy, MIG (Metal Inert Gas) was changed to GMAW because some of the gasses being used are NOT inert, such as carbon dioxide & oxygen. Hope this helps.
W. Baker

Just progress many of the old names were simplified or traenames - when first used, GTAW aka TIG was trademarked by Linde Corp as Heliarc welding as the inert gas used was helium. I belive now argon is the most widely used (by percentage) gas and other companies offer the process so the name had to be changed anyway.

Blacksmith

Accepting all the previous replies, in U.K. this process is also known as Tungsten Active Gas as the more modern gas mixtures can actually add to the weld constituent.

rarely is weld porosity (gas inclusions an reacted components) desireable in modern welding as a joining process. it may be used in various flame spraying methods but not in joining.

gases that combines with the weldment are generally used because of cost rather than the quality of the weld.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back