Tab and Slot joint general rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algirdas13

Mechanical
May 27, 2023
LT
Hey everyone,

Perhaps someone has the information regarding how to design tab and slot connection in steel structures (dimensions of the joint)? During a briefly research I wasn't able to find any general rules or guidelines of the design. If someone have any information about the tab and slot joint design in steel structures, I would really appreciate if you could share this information here.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have only used them to provide alignment/fixturing for welding. Dimensions of tabs and slots were adjusted to accomodate tolerances of the process used to create them, i.e. ensure fitup and adequate alignment.

Yes, I would never consider 'tabs & slots' as a way to join parts, even in machinery, which is what I designed for 14-years. Perhaps to assist in positioning while welding, as trueblood suggested, but I can't recall ever needing to do that. We just assumed that the guys in the shop would position and constrain the parts based on the dimensions and after the welding, if it passed inspection, fine.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

I found couple of examples where it seems that tab and slot joint was used for joining parts. This is water cooled structure (double wall) and from how many tabs there are used, I believe that those were not used only for alignment/fixture.

Tabs_lcjzyk.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back