Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Table Based BOM - adding items not modeled

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmlentz

Mechanical
Apr 14, 2004
US
A customer requires Table Based BOMs in their assembly drawings. Each assembly has up to 30 items that are NOT modeled (mostly fasteners, but also cables, etc.) I realize I can insert a row, double click each cell and edit, but there does not appear to be an easy way to jump from cell to cell, and there is a warning EVERY TIME that I am overiding a parametric link (to what? it is a manually inserted row). Is there a (relatively) quick and easy way to add these items to the BOM? I would rather not add empty parts to the assembly.

Thanks,
Mike

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

there is a warning EVERY TIME that I am overiding a parametric link (to what?
Probably the Item No sequence.

If you make any changes to the model, you will lose any manual changes made to to the BOM when it is updated.
Sorry, but your best bet would be to create the empty parts,c/w properties, for automatic BOM inclusion. Could save you lots of time in the long run as you will be able to use them again in future projects.

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[smile] Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have [smile]

We have to do this once in a [blue]blue moon[/blue]. We create a new part or assy file, and then just save that blank file with the part number we need. We then insert that file in our models, drag to correct position in the Feature Manager and we are done.

Ray Reynolds
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

CorBlimeyLimey is right; we needed to add 100’s of items to an assembly spare parts BOM for an Engineer who lives outside of the rules all the time. He said he needed the BOM done fast as possible. He ordered us to not model the parts, just type the description in the BOM. We will never need this information again. Well it turns out that after the job was done that he need cover sheets for every part number. The Engineer says again just type the information into the MS Word template we have been using. That was 11 pieces of information, same as what would be in a title block. We did not listen to him when he ordered us not to model the part. We modeled a blank part with the data filled in by our title block program. Now all we had to do was insert the empty model into a cover sheet. We were done in no time at all.

Bradley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back