Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Table PW-39-3 circumferential butt welds under Section I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony1t

Mechanical
Jun 18, 2012
HK
Do the postweld heat treatment exemptions for circumferential butt welds noted in Table PW-39-3 apply to the welds illustrated by Figure PW-16.1, illustration (a)?
Thank you in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tricky question. Do we even consider a nozzle welding (full penetration butt weld) as circumference butt weld? Open to debate.

GDD
Canada

1) The circunferential (joint) weld is clear and does not depend on whether it is full or partial penetration, butt welding or any welding method. Fig PW-16.1(a) is not a butt weld
2) Table PW-39.3 applies to Figure PW-16.1(a)

Regards

Refer to the below Interpretation, its apply to Figure PW-16.1(z) but I assume that you can draw conclusions from it regarding your case as well

Standard Designation: BPV Section I

Edition/Addenda: 2010

Para./Fig./Table No: PW-39, Table PW-39-3, Figure PW-16.1(z)

Subject Description: Section I Inquiry, PW-39, Table PW-39-3, Figure PW-16.1(z), Postweld Heat Treatment Requirements

Date Issued: 03/19/2013

Record Number: 13-264

Interpretation Number : I-13-09

Question(s) and Reply(ies):
Question 1: Are the tube to header welds illustrated by Figure PW-16.1(z) considered circumferential butt welds??
Reply 1: No.

Question 2: Do the postweld heat treatment exemptions for circumferential butt welds noted in Table PW-39-3 apply to the welds illustrated by Figure PW-16.1(z)??
Reply 2: No.

GD2 said:
Tricky question. Do we even consider a nozzle welding (full penetration butt weld) as circumference butt weld? Open to debate.
Currently working on an ASME VIII Div I project and this issue came up.
ASME VIII Div I clearly differentiates between butt joints (in the same plane) and corner joints (90 degrees to each other).
ASME I notes exactly the same terminology for butt joints (in the same plane) but no mention of corner joints ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back