Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Tablet compatible apps for markups, calcs, sketches, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPGs

Structural
Oct 20, 2022
US
Hey everyone, thank you in advance for any tips, tricks, or apps you might recommend. I am doing lots of google searching, but I've never found a better resource for practicing structural engineers than this forum and wanted to drop a line to you folks, since a lot of you have similar day-to-day experience.

After seeing so many contractors and other professionals on site with iPads and other tablets, I just picked up a Samsung Galaxy S9 FE tablet with S pen with the hopes of streamlining some of my work flow. I slapped a fat rubber & plastic case on it so I fit in.

I've got it set up for the most part to my OneDrive cloud for file/document dumps and I've spent some time making sure I can perform basic PDF markups or sketches with the built-in note and MS viewer apps.

I was wondering if any of you had any recommendations for programs/apps that you've found useful when being on-site that helped you make preliminary decisions on site and/or streamlined that lovely interim period between standing on-site and sitting at your real workstation--perhaps a simple beam analysis app, a handy app for sketching, and/or a more useful pdf editor?

Any tips/tricks or recommendations you might have would be hugely appreciated. My most sincere thanks for your time and help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I LOVE my Samsung S8 Ultra. I keep all my PDFs in DropBox (similar to you with One Drive). I go to my DropBox folder, open a PDF, then open with Samsung Notes. There, I make my comments. Usually, that's good enough when I markup drawings, although I did have to practice changing to a highlighter as I picked up redmarks instead of reaching for my yellow highlighter. LOL. If I need to create a PDF from the redmarks (seldom from my tablet, but may do more often from my phone), I can do that. I almost don't use paper anymore for anything.

Thank you, IDS, that's a great thread with a lot of useful content. I do agree, on principle, that trying to get a tablet to do the real calculation legwork isn't realistic. A true PC like a Surface is probably what I need to achieve that end--I'm still on the fence if this tablet will help me moving forward.

SE2607 said:
I almost don't use paper anymore for anything.
Thanks, SE2607. This seems like the most obvious benefit. When I print out 24"x36" plans onto 11"x17" paper it gets hard to read in the field and then afterwards it just feels crude to send a scan of my--already scaled down--field notes with chicken scratch to a client. It'd be great to not have to spend time to re-do my field notes at my desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back