Tachometers 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparweb

Aerospace
May 21, 2003
CA
Hi,
People don't often post about solved problems, but here I am. I'm hoping this will be a fun post for the group. I think have solved a problem and struggling to figure out why I had to spend 7 years working on it when it was so obvious at the end. Several years ago, I was trying to solve a problem that had daunted me for years, came up with a solution, and moved on. Since then I've looked back at what I did and wondered "why hasn't anybody ever thought of that before?"

I can't find any patents for the device, and I can't find any articles in journals (IEEE) that I have searched.
Once I settled on the idea, it seemed "obvious" to me which breaks one of the principles of the patent - but then how come nobody does it...?
I'm not really interested in getting a patent - the rigamarole, the cost, and the futility of trying to defend it are all disincentives. But I really do think I should publish about it - if this truly is a unique idea. It would be nice to have a useful article to my credit. It's an idea I would like to share, but I want to find out if it's really a new idea, first. So I'd like to formulate a little test and see if anybody else finds this "obvious" with a few clues and conditions. If I just told you, then any smarty pants can come on and say "yes it's obvious" and publish it for themselves.

I promise to tell the rest of my story but only if there's interest, or if the answer is so obvious that somebody guesses right away. I'm a mechanical engineer with an interest in all engineering disciplines, dabbling in many others, so I could have missed an obvious solution or the one I came up with is indeed obvious and electrical engineers do it all the time (for some reason they don't talk about it?).

First I have a confession to make: I built a wind turbine. (No apologies to those who are offended) I built it out of personal interest but I have been approached by a person who wants to buy one just like it from me. Never considered this a commercial product before, but if I am going to look at it that way, then I need to work on some of the control and safety aspects.

Its design is fairly elaborate but its construction is simple. It has had good performance for many years, but the obvious missing piece of information is how fast it's turning. I needed a tachometer.

Options that I considered: encoder, hall sensors, tach generator, frequency measurements on AC powerline.

Location of the turbine is at the top of the tower, which is stating the obvious. I point it out because that makes adding little finnicky gadgets difficult. To support some types of tachometer, signal wires going up the tower are needed. Some even need their own power supply to work. Sure, I can add little signal wires but it won't be robust. To make it robust would be costly. Slip rings, custom cables, etc. This wind turbine has run well for almost 10 years without a flaw and I would hate to have a thing like a tachometer in it that forces maintenance yearly. Despite the reluctance, I did actually install a hall sensor into it (two for redundancy) and started bench-testing but I got really frustrated with the difficulty of re-designing the mount of the generator itself to accommodate either a slip-ring assembly that would somehow pass small-signal currents without noise of their own.

I resolved to try to build a tachometer that relies only on the AC on the powerlines. However, the turbine is a customized 3-phase generator and the output is rectified to charge batteries. Off-grid stuff. The rotor blades are direct-drive on the generator, with a variable speed. The speed varies from 0 to 150 RPM (charge current cut-in) to about 400 to 500 RPM where the tail's furling mechanism folds everything out of the wind for protection. The AC coming from the turbine is definitely not a sine wave. It's more of a clipped trapezoid with harmonics and noise. The variable speed and DC rectifier switching puts spikes in that vary in intensity at different speeds. There are also flat spots crossing zero that you can see on an oscilloscope. It's a mess. This does not affect the power output of the turbine. Remember, the load is a DC rectifier, so the noise and spikes are inconsequential to power conversion.

I built the obvious thing with a LM2917 IC and tested several variations but they all failed. The 2917 got its input from one of the three AC lines from the generator to the rectifiers. It would pick up the harmonics at certain speeds, the baseline at others. I tried filtering but that was very tricky to get right. I thought I was close but then made a change in the the generator wiring and found myself back at the beginning. I tried an optoisolator and fed the pulses to a microcontroller and got exactly the same thing. The microcontroller could be programmed with some extra code to "guess" the bad data but always discarded huge ranges of records.

When I solved it, I was able to dispense with any filtering at all. I still used a microcontroller, so I was able to build a more elaborate data-logger around it, so I now have current, voltage temperature and a number of other things measured simultaneously. Every second if I want a mountain of data. Sampling and averaging is easy in the microcontroller programs.

So now that I've described my failures trying to solve it, before I had my "great idea", what would you do? Faced with the need for a tachometer, how would you get a good solid signal proportional to the speed of a machine like this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My first try would be a small transformer as a filter and look at the frequency at the secondary.
You may also read the voltage but the voltage will not be proportional to the speed once the charging cuts in.
Once you are into charging you may be able to get countable pulses from a series current shunt.

Bill
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Agreed. There was a transformer as part of the filtering, but somehow it only worked when the generator was in Star. After rewiring the generator in Delta the transformer passed the noise. There's no reason I can understand for that, except if harmonics in Delta increased and the transformer passed some of them. All of the signals were tapped off of 1 AC line at a time (didn't matter which one) so it left me puzzled. This was long before I got an oscilloscope.

The nature of my question is "what if" you can't use a LM2917 or equivalent IC. Then what?

I'd have to see an actual waveform and how noisy it is, but... the easiest method would simply be to use a zero-crossing detector on a waveform that's suitably DC shifted. Even a very noisy waveform could be filtered with a cap/inductor to provide a clean enough waveform for average zero-crossings to provide a relatively accurate speed indicator. Forget the frequency-to-voltage converters... a simple op-amp could easily detect the zero crossings and provide a useful "click" for a micro to count.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Spar said:
All of the signals were tapped off of 1 AC line at a time
If I understand correctly, that may have been the problem.
On a delta you would have got a better signal going line to line.
Line to line has the possibility of moving the "noise" 30 degrees up on the waveform where it is less likely to cause false zero crossings.
A little load on the transformer secondary can help swamp out transients.

Bill
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Wow, never thought of a DC offset.
I can't remember if I had tried line-to-line when the generator was in Delta, or line-to-ground, or both. I tried a lot of things, that what I do remember.

Here are some sample waveforms - different machines, different connections, different speeds, different loads so DO NOT compare.

Scope_Wave_Jerry_10A_small_k6yfe6.jpg

Scope_Wave_Star_3A_small_zbd57t.jpg

Scope_Waveform_Cut-in_s_vcord7.jpg

Typical_WT_Scope_Trace_400RPM_6.7Hz_xVpp_Line-to-Ground_vmea7u.jpg

It may be a 3 times or 6 times multiple of the base frequency Spar.
The actual multiplier is not as important as anticipating and looking for it, rather than discarding good data accidentally.

Bill
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Since it's of interest, here's another way to look at it.
I hooked up a microphone input (with a lot of protective resistance) to the AC power line and recorded an audio file.

Then I processed the audio to develop the spectrum.
The frequency axis is scaled to the baseline frequency, determined by the speed of the turbine, which is 5Hz. The 60Hz is twice as intense as the 5Hz signal. Note that the cell phone doing the recording is battery powered, and the renewable energy system inverter was off at the time, so there is no ambient 60Hz going on. Using a FFT app on the phone gave a similar plot (but it was only live reading, not a recording).

Audio_to_FFT_Spectrum.PNG

To me, recording audio to process a FFT is terribly complicated - but that doesn't stop some people from getting patents on it!

But this is not the super-simple thing I came up with in the end.
I'm wondering if anyone still wants to guess another way to find the speed without filters or any other IC's.

One thing to shift the complexity is to use a right-angle gear box so the power doesn't need to come through a slip ring; mount the generator in a fixed vertical axis and leave the prop to freely rotate in the horizontal plane to follow the wind. Considering a car rear differential can operate for decades without service, this would keep the need for a ladder to a minimum and not have to worry about corrosion on a slip ring. It would allow a tachometer to be used without a slip ring for that either.

However it seems like you have an electronic solution that does not require a trained clam.

You can pretty easily use lots of different opto-isolators and a 555 or a micro to count the pulse rate. You use a unipolar isolator that only has an output on one polarity. Your windmill is putting out AC so half a line cycle the opto is conducting and half it isn't. You get about a 40% duty cycle out of it. It's also nice because very quickly, circuit-wise, you get away from the high voltage and can then use 12V or 5V or even 3V for your counting hardware.

You do have to protect the LED in the opto but that's actually very simple and extremely cheap to do.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Building on Keith's post.
Use a 555 and only look at pulses with a duration long enough to eliminate transients and multiple zero crossings cause by low level noise.

Bill
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Just to clarify, optoisolators + microcontroller was tried several times.
The spikes were strong enough to trigger the opto more than once per cycle.

It is true that at the same time, it was not filtered before getting to the optoisolator. Just a resistor and a series of diodes to try to make the trigger level a couple of volts. It wasn't enough. Filtering with the transformer may have helped, but I didn't try that until later and I'd already moved on to the LM2917.
PicLog_circuit_ver1-2_nlaej7.gif

That circuit was probably fine for axial coreless alternators that some hobbyists build. My turbine itself was very different but robust (still running today) but there were consequences, like this data below. You can see how the range of scatter changes in Star and Delta.
PicLog_Data_Star-Delta_Comparison_hynsd7.gif

I have seen Spar's turbine and tower.
I was impressed.
It is well made but despite that I would prefer to take picture from a distance when the differential is raised.

Bill
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Me too - if anyone tried to attach an auto differential to my turbine I would stand wayyy back too. Best not to even think about it. 3DDave, sliprings are not required. They have been tried, of course, but few pass the "last more than 5 years before replacement" test. We can get into the mechanical side of it some other time.
For now, I get the feeling we're tapped out for ways to measure speed from noisy AC and at the same time sidestep any filtering.

Oh - why not make it a Mack Truck differential, just for making your joke even funnier. There are plenty of small right-angle drives that would work. The example was durability, not a suggestion to use a vehicle differential.

I don't understand how you need slip rings to add a tachometer but not to get power off the unit. Unlike Bill I haven't seen it - would have been nice to see that to begin with. My fault for expecting it was a substantial unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back