Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Tainter Gate on an Ogee Spillway

Status
Not open for further replies.

redneckengr

Agricultural
Nov 10, 2005
US
I'm trying to calulate flow for a tainter gate on an Ogee spillway. To be more specific, for the transition zone from overflow over the ogee to orifice flow. HEC-RAS uses an iterative process for Head/gate opening = 1 to 1.25 to evaluate this transition zone. I found this in the hydraulic reference manual but no further information on the basis or the process that is used. I need a hydraulics reference manual for the hydraulics reference manual. Can anyone point me to this information?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Corps has a nice publication with some gate calcs.
EM 1110-2-1603 Hydraulic Design of Spillways

I know I have some USBR with radial gate information (I think the USBR posts more technical in depth info). I know there is information in their Small Canal Structures.
They have a dos program radgate. A windows version has been underdevelopment for some time. I sorta remember hearing about it 6 years ago.
A lot of their info is for maintaining upstream levels using automatic controls.

Thanks for all the assistance!!!

I found a reference in the appendix of the Corps manual to define the upper nappe which should tell me when the water surface truely impacts the gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back