Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Tall narrow frame building

Status
Not open for further replies.

rittz

Structural
Dec 30, 2007
CA
The client wants to build a frame building for a car wash. Length 60,’ width 16, height 15’. Needs a door in each end 12’ wide and 14’ high, that leaves 2‘ on each side available for shear wall!! Wind load 15 psf. Pretty large shear. This appears to be a challenge. Any comments?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I assume you mean a wood frame building? Sell them on Simpson portal frame or metal shear wall panel before they have a chance to even think about anything else. 2 ft isn't going to be enough unless you do a wood portal frame, much easier and possibly cheaper to use a Simpson product. Also, your diaphragm aspect ratio is too large unless you have a fully blocked diaphragm, if possible get the building to a 3:1 length to width ratio. Moisture protection is going to be fun.

Maine EIT, Civil/Structural.

You are exceeding your 3.5:1 max wood diaphragm h/d ratio. You will need at least one interior steel moment frame in the short direction to control the diaphragm shear stresses. Simpson strong walls on the ends.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

The proposed car was is actually an addition to a large pr-eng building. Which extends beyond the proposed building at both ends and is higher The frames in the steel building are 12’ oc .Would a brace of some sort from the existing frames be doable? Or sensible? The ceiling of the addition will be sheeted and constructed as a diaphragm.

The Simpson frames certainly are a possibility
[sup][/sup]

That might work in that wind usually controls those structures and there would be no additional wind exposure to the existing PEMB.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

I would not normally use a wood-framed bldg for a car wash.....looks like pre-engineered moment frame may be the best bet and galvanized.

I have priced out the Simpson frames and it was much cheaper to just have one fabricated locally. This is in NC where they are rarely used. Maybe a different story in your area. I would not count on a wood portal frame for this scenario.
If you have 2 ft, you could also do a braced frame - might be cheaper than a moment frame.

Wood structures with light gauge steel connectors perform poorly in wet environments like a carwash. I would consider galvanized steel or precast concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back