Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tangent Modulus Elastic-Plastic Method ASME VIII Div.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soave

Mechanical
Oct 13, 2015
BR
Dear All

I am running an elastic-plastic analysis for a pressure vessel according to ASME VIII Div.2 - item 5.2.4 and I pretend to use a bilinear material model.
But I am in troubling about the value of the Tangent Modulus that I should use. I plotted the stressxstrain curve of the SA-516 70 according to Annex 3-D and took the values of the tangent modulus (Et). (See attached in my calculations)
To illustrate my doubt I have separated 3 values of Et.

1 - A value near of yield point (Et =15193 MPa)

2 - A value that is near of the curve (Et = 2020 MPa)

3 - The value taken on ultimate stress (Et = 1315 MPa)

Which value is more suitable?

Thanks in advance
Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't use a bi-linear stress-strain curve. Use the full curve as provided in Annex 3D. Why would you degrade your analysis when you actually have the full curve at your disposal?

Thank you Victor and TGS4

@TGS4
I was thinking of bi-linear to minimize the computing time.
But I will continue with the full curve

Best regards

When going from linear to limit load (Bilinear) analysis, the maths needs to jump from the elastic modulus to the Tangent modulus.
This requires a time consuming multi step analysis.
Doesn't adding additional modulus curves (to achieve and elastic plastic analysis) increase the likelihood of needing more analysis steps and therefore overall taking more time to complete the entire multi step analysis?

Generally no. Some of the biggest issues arise when the stress-strain curve is dis-continuous. A smooth continuous curve will assist with the number of convergence steps. The other bigger issue with Elastic-Plastic vs Limit Load with respect to time is that at the fully-factored load, a large portion of the structure is near the true ultimate, where the effective tangent modulus is low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back