Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tank Bottom Flatness and Foundation Tolerances 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnaT

Mechanical
Jan 18, 2012
BH
Hey Guyz!

I have a few queries regarding Storage Tank Bottom Flatness and Foundation Inspection. I hope you'll be able to guide me.

1. Looking at Inspection methods and tolerances for tank dimensions in API 650, there is no direct tolerances defined for bottom flatness. There is a reference for tolerances in Waviness and flatness in API 650 7.5.2 but its for tank plumbness.
Can it be used for bottom flatness as well?
If yes, what is the cross reference?
If no, what reference should be used?

2. Tolerances for Tank foundations are defined in 7.5.5 with reference to the Tank concrete ring wall. I have a case where the ring wall is well within the tolerances but the central part of the foundation is approx -+22mm from average values. I can find no reference to reject the foundation except simple logic that this uneven foundation will effect the tank bottom flatness and slope of the tank bottom.
Can anyone give me a better reason?

Thanks in advance guyz!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've never seen a tolerance for bottom flatness. I recall a line, possibly in AWWA D100, saying that out-of-plane distortion of 1% of diameter was not out of the ordinary.

On the 22mm difference- if it's a large tank, I'd say that was a neglible difference. If it's a small tank, it'd be more noticeable, but also easy to correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back