Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TANK CLEANUP WITH POM-POMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamoffathoo

Mechanical
Sep 19, 2008
CA
I am looking for an oil absorbent rope that can be compressed into a 2" tube, which would be inserted into a 24" dia by 18 foot long horizontal tank half filled with water that has a layer of oil on its surface. The only access to this tank is through a 2" dia nozzle.
30 pom-poms on a 50 foot rope appear to meet my requirements.
Has anyone had experience with POM-POMS and vessels?
Could the POM-POMS be stuffed into a 2"dia tube and what length of 2"dia tube would 30 pom-poms require?
Could the pom-poms be pushed out with a broom handle and jettissoned deep into the tank ?
How long would it take for complete oil absorption ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ha ha, that's a good one.
The literature indicates that each pom-pom can absorb 1/2 lb of oil...you do the math.
The problem is, I can't get dimensions or compressibility.

This is a 'head' tank, ie. it provides static pressure for the process. I need to remove the oil floating on the surface or it will coat the process piping when the system is drained.

Ball and spray cleaning options are not possible due to access and time constraints. Throwing in pom-poms or socks on a rope seems to be the best option - if I can find a product that fits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back