Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Tank Farm exposure protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterDixon

Industrial
Jul 13, 2002
AU
Im looking at a tank farm which has been laid out to NFPA 30. There is no exposures to adjacent property or works.
I normally work to Australian standard AS1940 which is quite presciptive on water application to tanks in relation to tank separation distances (usually applied by monitors)
NFPA 30 skirts the issue by referencing NFPA 15 and mentioning exposure as it relates to adjacent property (or protected works).
Do I have to look at fixed water spray if the only exposure is adjacent tanks located with min sep distances in accordance with NFPA 30?
If water spray is required, can it be applied by monitors?
Fixed water would be a significant undertaking as there are 25+ tanks with half being over 40metres (120ft) in diameter.
We are foaming all the tanks whether they contain combustible of flammables (Client request to allow for future change of use)
Most of the tanks that are currently scheduled for class 1 product have a floating roof.
Any help, experiences or suggestions would be appreciated

Pete

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think NFPA 15 will not apply here. You must comply with NFPA 11 (Foam). If you already have foam chambers in the tanks, you will need foam monitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back