Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tank Nozzle sizes and orientation (height) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

elquesifilma

Chemical
Jun 12, 2008
US
Good Day,

I am designing a settling tank system, with 3 tanks in series, they are API std tanks each 1500 bbls, with 26" diameter and 16" height. They will be settling any particles from water source.

What are recommended height of inlet/overflows/outlet nozzles? , as well as drains?.

I am sizing inlet/overflows/drains to about 6 fps, would this allow smooth operation to be able to settle sand particles?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations on my design.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

6 fps sounds very fast for any place in a settling tank. What does Stokes say? You need to look at the required settling time verses your velocity to see if retention times are meet. BTW that is feet, not ".

The inlets and outlets need to be in locations that will allow the fluid velocities in the tank to be as low as possible and not allow fluid to take a shortcut through the tank, so as far apart as possible would be good places to consider.

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back