Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tank Ringwall Coring

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConcreetnStele

Structural
Aug 14, 2023
US
Looking for a source on the effects of twist moment on ringwalls.
I am analyzing/ checking tank ringwalls (100'+ dia.) for approval of coring for soil samples (2" holes). I am checking what would happen if the contractor cored through a bar. This area has considerable seismic activity, and the tank fluid level will be going up and down (assumed full for my calc). My loadings are coming from API 650 Appendix B and E, and the example I am following is the PIP-STE03020 Example 1. This is resulting in hoop tension using 90% of the capacity. The other 10% is being used by hoop twist.
The coring will happen in the top foot of the ringwall, total height is 3 ft. Since the twist moment adds tension mainly in the bottom bars and compression in the top bars, is there some way I can ignore or reduce the loading? All sources do not mention it, or use full hoop tension and twist, so I would be looking for something that may back up this idea.
Note that the load factors cannot be reduced, as far as I can tell.
Another question: why do we not use vertical seismic action for tension on the ringwall bars? Would this not add loading into the soil, hence into the bars?
Thanks

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=fb591722-bd8c-4c6a-8f6d-4e649272a3d3&file=02_eng-tips_ringwall_Q_.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why doesn’t the contractor use Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) to avoid the reinforcing bars? That way you don’t have to worry about if they hit a bar.

A good coring sub will also be able to feel if they hit a bar and see metal shavings in the water. If they are paying attention they should not core through a full reinforcing bar, but they could knick it potentially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back