Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tanks Cradels restoration 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NADOR123

Structural
Apr 3, 2007
US
Hi everyone

I am working on a project of Two outdoor round oil tanks restoration. The tanks are supported by steel cradels anchored to concrete pad. The steel cardels are showing damage(rust)due to the location of the tanks ( 20 ft from the shore). I am looking of the best way to restore the cradels(photos attached).

Thank you for your help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Needle gun would be cheaper, faster than sandblast. Wouldn't remove as much undamaged paint either.

A rotary wire brush won't work - it can't get into the corners where the rust has already started.

Once damaged paint (ALL BUBBLES and exposed rust must be gone) is removed, re-prime or 2-part epoxy as a undercoat, then cover coat.

Remember: The primer protects the steel from corrosion. The topcoat protects the primer from the sun and atmosphere.

Usually, the saddles/ cradles will just be constructed of A36 or similar steel, so it's no big deal structurally to cut out a section and replace it with plate of similar thickness if you need to.

Is covering the supporting angles after sandblasting the rusted areas with non-shrink grout consider a good option
to protect the bottom of the cradles from the water accumulation at the bottom slab. The grout surface can be pitched to prevent water accumulation on the surface.

Thanks

grouting to prevent corrosion wouldn't be my first choice. A good primer and two coats of a good enamel would be better

NADOR123
I think your idea is good. After cleaning, you could cast a protection slab...concrete, not grout, around the base. But be sure to reinforce this slab, as it will tend to crack at the corners of the frame.

The nuts on the anchor bolts have corroded badly, as is typical. You may need to install some new drilled in anchors.

I think casting a concrete slab around this is akin to killing an ant with a sledge hammer. Just a bit of overkill when fresh paint will do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back