Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

taper roller bearings Spacer

Status
Not open for further replies.

smaty

Mechanical
May 30, 2001
GR
For creating clearance between two taper roller bearing (face to face), Shall we use spacer ring bigger/smaller than distance between two outer rings of bearings?
For example if we have 35mm distance between two outer rings, shall we use 35.05mm or 34.95mm spacer ring??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's not clear to me which way the cone are directed. We use alot set-right tapered roller bearing assemblies. These assemblies include six components: 2 cups, 2 cones, 1 cup spacer and 1 cone spacer.

When I have to separate these further with a supplemental spacer, I just manufacture a cup spacer and cone spacer of the same length and don't worry about it because the supplied cup and cone spacer are still used.

It is important for the rolling elements of the cone to be in contact with rolling surface of the cup.

I would suggest contacting the bearing manufacturer and explaining your assembly to them and follow their recommendations.

jmoritz is correct, it should be larger if you intend to create clearance. Make sure you consult the bearing manufacturer though in case there are other factors in your application.

Regards

Neville French
Elstree UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back