Tapered Spline for Oscillating Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamgear

Agricultural
Dec 8, 2011
US
Hello All,

I need to design a Tapered Splined Joint for an application on which the shaft oscillating at 700 cycles per min to transfer the torque of 30000 in lbs torque. I am limited with available space of about 20mm Spline length. I need to be able to remove the hub periodically to service other components. I could not design 20mm long taper cone transfer this high of torque. Used 16/32 spline, total 27 splines, tapered on minor diameter. I relied on both taper and spline combination to transfer this torque. But because of the clearance of 10 to 100 microns on spline fit, the taper cone slips when I started The test. Please let me know is there any way to Make this joint work for oscillating application. Is it possible to create wedging on the Spline flanks?. Any help is appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, it was never going to work. With every torque reversal, the taper is taking 100% of the load.

The tapered spline sounds like it would work. Try asking in the gear forum. Link

je suis charlie

On motorcycle gear levers and such, it used to be customary to add a radial slot and a pinch bolt to take up all the clearance in the splines.

Mike Halloran
Corinth, NY, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back