Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tapping feed rate 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mielke

Mechanical
Aug 24, 2009
US
may be a dumb question...but should the feed rate for a tap (inch per revolution) be the pitch of the tap? ie a 3/8-16 tap should always have a feed rate of 0.0625 inch per revolution?

thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

we're running it in a cnc mill with a lot of horse power behind it. so the feed we tell it is the feed it will go.

Use a floating tap holder and a feed just a tad slower than the pitch. Let the tap feed itself once engaged and the floating holder take up the difference.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Tapping should be performed as you described. A floating tap holder must be used as machining centers never are setup with the exact RPM and sometimes the feed rate is off also. Another concern can be the machine tools specific tapping settings. Some machines, when tapping, force the machine tool into the high speed range thus reducing the gear train inertia. If you are using a large tap such as a 1" or larger tap the machine can run out of torque sufficient to tap a tough material. In those cases the machine will have to be forced to tap in the lower speed ranges.
There are people who swear by the slower tap feed such as looslib but over my years of programming I have never found a difference.

I agree with mrainey. I've been machining for 21 years and have only had to use a floating tap holder once because our machine didn't have rigid tapping functionality.

Powerhound, GDTP T-0419
Engineering Technician
Inventor 2010
Mastercam X4
Smartcam 11.1
SSG, U.S. Army
Taji, Iraq OIF II

Our older machines (those with rigid tapping) produce better quality threads using the "mega synchro" tap holders from Big Kaiser, which allow a very small amount of axial movement to compensate for any synchronous error. Tap life is up some 35% on those machines. We typically employ rigid tapping on the newer machines with no discernible increase in thread quality or tap life by going to the BK holders.

YMMV

The Manufacturing Reliquary

3/8-16

16 threads per inch

1/16 is yes .0625 pitch or distance per revolution

if you turn the tap at 100 rpms then

100 times .0625 is 6.25 inches per minute feed rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back