Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TCP/IP stream to DVB encapsulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papasmirf

Electrical
Jun 18, 2002
CA
We are encoding video with a MS Windows encoder and want to uplink the stream through a DVB encapsulator.
We cannot use the WM server because of the delay it adds.
Can we connect the encoder to the encapsulator directly, or do we have to somehow convert from TCP to UDP first?

Any insights or advice would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No! The beauty of MPE (multiprotocol encapsulation) is that the IPE (IP encapsulator) will accept either UDP or TCP/IP. A good example would be the IPE made by Logic Innovations. Go to their website. It has alot of info on the MPE process.

Papasmirf:

The beauty of MPE as Brutus says it takes whatever is on the ethernet wire 10/100 and encapsulates it.

Since you mention delays as a concern, I suggest looking at either Skystream or Thales encapsulators as alternates. I done some evaluations on encapsulators in end to end satellite links and latency is one of the goals I minimized.

The Thales Opal comes with an on-board sniffer application built into the GUI that iis helpful if you do not have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back