Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TE Connectivity AMP DUAC Extraction Tool Alternatives 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erro11

Electrical
Jun 7, 2010
US
The TE Connectivity AMP DUAC extraction tool # 188688-1 is obsolete and expensive; they claim to have a new tool (# 1-1579008-6) that is more expensive and also hard to find.
The Hirose Electric Co Ltd # DF-C-PO(C) tool is inexpensive; will it work for the same purpose?
If not, will the Molex Inc # 0638130400 work?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

mcqyvr,
I was hoping to hear from someone that has already tried it before I purchase one.

I know the obsolete AMP tool works for Molex style pins, but don't know if the inverse of that statement is true, sorry.

Here is an answer:
I requested information on the TE Connectivity AMP DUAC extraction tool # 188688-1 alternatives from Digi-key, Mouser, Newark, Allied, TE-Connectivity, Molex, and Hirose Electric Co..
I received a basic "I don't know" from everyone of them except Newark who responded," I’m very sorry it took so long but it took me a while to get the right answer for you. This tool will work: 94F9674".
The tool referred to is a Molex # 11-03-0044 = Newark # 94F9674, 490 in stock. So I will purchase from Newark if possible.

At last check the Molex tool was $16.92 from Newarknd that is much better than TE Connectivity's 1-1579008-6 tool for $250.00.

FWIW, I underwent a similar search for a pin (JST's VL and XA series) crimp tool. JST's own tool was about $500. Eventually we found a Molex tool for about $100 (DigiKey: 64016-0200). Couldn't guarantee it would work, but took the plunge and found it was fine. Maybe the JST would have been more precise, but we made do just fine.

When it came to an extraction tool, the appetite had waned. So I made do with a small flat screwdriver! Definitely not ideal, but works in a push.

The most versatile crimp tool for a low cost that I have ever purchased is the Molex UNIVERSAL CRIMP TOOL # 63811-1000. $33.75 at Newark

I think I ordered something like that years ago... it was that and try my luck with it, or spend $1k+ on their "designed-for" tool. I took a (cheap) gamble and won. I'm not in a production environment, but my crimps are as good as any machine.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back