Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandman7673

Industrial
Jan 28, 2021
US
NevaWrap_ghmyqp.jpg

Nevarap_2_b8hcbc.png

This is a rubber traction device for a team roping that fits on a specialized saddle horn. This "bushing" is custom molded from natural rubber, about 45 duro. As you can see, on really hard runs, the rope (about 3/8" in diameter, is burning through the rubber. I have tried aramid fibers (1" strands) and pulp to increase tear strength, but those were were even less durable.

Does anyone have any suggestions for increasing the tear strength, or even modifying the design to help prevent the rope from tearing through the rubber? The traction of the natural rubber at 45 duro is excellent. Not sure if there is another material option. Neoprene was not as durable.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I know nothing about team roping so bear with me. I am assuming the point is to provide resistance to the rope running over the bushing, could you use a geometry that traps the rope rather than just counting on friction? For example a hard material with V grooves in it, with relatively steep walls, where the harder the rope is pulled the deeper into the grooves it goes? Would that provide too much resistance if there is such a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back