Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Teflon coating or alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

DYV1973

Mechanical
Aug 9, 2004
NL
LS,

We are applying a teflon coating (PTFE / FEP) to a stainless steel surface for its non-stick properties. Problem is that in some occasions the coating lets loose.

- Is there a method to test the bonding of the teflon coating to the stainless steel?

- Is there an alternative for teflon as a non-stick coating, that can be used up to approx. 250 C

- What method can be used to test non-stick properties of a coating (fluids will be eg. crude oils etc).

thanks,
DYV

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not a direct answer but something that came up on a project I'm working.

Is the stainless properly cleaned before the ptfe coating is applied?

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Here are two possibilities for your service as defined, Ryton from Chevron Phillips and a Phenolic coating from Heresite. There are so many variations in materials, cleaning, application, and curing I would definately give a call to the application engineers at each company.
I have used phenolic coatings and Ryton coatings and parts with very good success in some very aggressive environments.

In our cleaning procedure for parts to be coated and/or cured we run them through a Pyrolysis Oven prior to grit blasting or any additional surface modification. We are getting rid of the organics first so we don't cover any organics up have have problems later, both during and after curing.

the problem with teflon is it does not stick to anything very well and it requires a bonding agent. its this agent you need to inspect.

tungsten disulphid may be an alternative. it can take the head better than the teflon and does not require a bonding agent. also an inert material so your safe with the oil. just make sure to use a company with a good rep so its applied properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back