Teflon packing for Control Valves

Status
Not open for further replies.

johcatrac

Mechanical
May 3, 2008
CA
Hello folks,

How does Teflon perform as a packing material versus graphite, kalrez, etc. for Pressure or Temperature Control Valves? Anyone has extensive positive experience with Teflon and what what grade, etc. was it?

What is the best packing material? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Quite an open question! You will have to narrow the question, with for instance type of reg. valve, size/flow, fluid, pressure and temperature and the location/type of packing you are referring to. Note also: Teflon is a trade-name, technically correct is Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE).

Without specifying, the Forum will not know anything about your branch and the type of fluids you are thinking about. Could be anything from milk and hony to watery solution of gravel and grit. Not everything is eiter pure petroleum or water.[smile]

@gerhardl;-About this, I just came across a comparison of butterfly valve proposals. In their valve datasheets, some manufacturers utilize PTFE, while Belimo uses RPTFE. In the real world, does RPTFE obviously beat PTFE? In submitting bids for new projects, I learned that there aren't many precise technical comparisons of valves and their many features in our local industry. Generally speaking, I don't see any other thorough review, whether it's an American or European product. thanks

The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while stupid ones are full of confidence.
-Charles Bukowski-

moideen: The best solution is always the most economical, read as the lowest price divided by time (expected or designed lifetime) of a product, all relevant cost taken into consideration. The answer woill then be the same as before.

But yes, under special circumstances (for instance perhaps abrasion combined with temperature or chemicals) RPTFE could be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back