Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

telecom rm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechanical
Apr 19, 2007
US
what diversity would i use in this rm for the equip.there is a sm. ups rated at 1050watts ,and one at 980 watts..and some other equip at 1500 watts.. i am trying not to put in ac and just use a exhaust fan with a louvered door

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

the room is located in a climate controled bldg.. so if i was to exhaust it i would be pulling in lets say 78 degrees ,witha delta of probality on 20 to 25 degs

Your UPS modules should be about 90% efficient or better: under normal conditions they are converting input power, conditioning it, and supplying the load; they don't actually consume much power under normal conditions. Losses will go up, sometimes significantly, when the unit is running from battery. They will remain higher than normal until the battery recharges.

Consider what happens to the cooling when the power fails: the UPS and loads will still be dumping heat into the room. How long does the UPS have to run? I am asking because I am often frustrated by the omission in many building designs of any provision to provide cooling for the UPS and loads once the mains fails. A top-of-the-line UPS is is useless once it shuts down on thermal overload!

----------------------------------
image.php
Sometimes I only open my mouth to swap feet...

If you do proceed with exhausting the telecom room instead of cooling it, remember to exhaust more CFM than what is required to cool the room at 55F. This is because the air in the room will be transferred in from another space and therefore is warmer.

A green thought..."We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." (unknown)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back