Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Temperature and Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

XELR8

Mechanical
Feb 20, 2003
US
Will an object that is heated ever get to a higher temperature then the heat input temperature itself. For example, if I heat a piece of metal with a heat source at 150F, will the temperature of the metal ever exceed 150F if the heat source input remains constant for a long period of time? Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is a tricky question -- it needs to be defined in a better way ...

For example, take a thermometer. If it is exposed to the sun, its temperature will keep going up ... If it is kept in a shade, it will show a fixed temperature value after a certain period of time ...

I agree with DVD's answer, however, I would ask for some additional clarification ...

Actually, Newton's law of cooling addresses that reasonably well: Q = k(T1-T2)

A positive temperature difference is required for a positive temperature change. If you want something to get hotter, it needs to be exposed to something that is hotter.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Hi Folks,

Thanks for your help and quick response.

No tricks, you answered my question. I thought the answer would be no, you can never exceed the temperature of the source but, I could not document any physical or scientific equation with the theory.

Feel free to add any further comments.

Wow, if we can find a way to heat something up and it actually got hotter than the heat source, we can solve our energy crises.

There is a something called thermal momentum, where you heat up mass and then when you suddenly turn off the heat source, the temp of the mass will still keep going a few degrees before peaking and then come down.

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."

Thermal momentum will still need a driving force. You cannot observe this phenomenon starting from steady state. In other words, the temperature of the applied source would have to be higher to cause this temperature peak.

No it is different heat transfer coefficients of different materials. Take the example of a pot on the stove: The pot absorbs heat from the burner and passes it to the contents, The outside of the pot will be measurably hotter than the inside. After you turn the burner off, the temperature gradient across the pot bottom will equilibrate (raising the temperature of the contents). This happens even if the process was in apparent thermal equilibrium (e.g., a pot of water at its boiling point does not change temperature until the liquid water is gone or the heat input is stopped). That is "thermal momentum".

While temperature has no directionality, heat transfer always goes from hotter to cooler.

David

I've got to call this one! There is no such thing as thermal momentum. That is a flawed analogy to describe an observed phenomenon that is caused by heat capacity and thermal conductivity. It might be used as a shorthand term for the effect but shouldn't be used to to explain anything because it isn't real.

On an entirely different situation, one may encounter thermal runaway exothermic chemical reactions...

Thermal runaway can occur because, as the temperature increases, the rate at which heat is absorbed and removed increases, say, linearly but the rate at which heat is produced increases exponentially.

When control of the reaction is lost, temperature can rise rapidly leaving little time for correction. The elevated temperatures may initiate secondary, more hazardous runaways or decompositions.

David,

I think you are describing time constants, not momentum. A failure of English language to describe engineering processes. Like those TV journos who can "feel the power" of a car.

- Steve

Thermal momentum...?

I liken this effect to the analogous situation of energy stored in a capacitor - or a flywheel, for that matter. Maybe the flywheel is a better example; in my mind, while you continue to add energy, the flywheel continues to accelerate, and the instantaneous cessation of energy input will result in the flywheel rotational speed to nonetheless rise to some maximum because of this inertia-driven acceleration (followed by deceleration). That does not mean that energy continues to be added at this stage; all of the energy has already been provided by the source prior to cut-out. What is observed afterwards is not a "momentum" effect so much as a "time lag" effect.

Regards,

SNORGY.

A flywheel will accelerate as long as energy is added to it by applying an external force. The instant that force is removed no more energy is added to the flywheel and acceleration instantly stops. Momentum is what resists acceleration.

Perhaps you are thinking of the wind-up that can occur in a drive shaft, which is energy storage in elastic deformation.

I really enjoy the answers and related views. So let me ask this, why can rubbing two sticks together at a lower temperature create a flame at a higher temperature. Please, note, I understand combustion but it does flaw some earlier answers. Thanks!

The sticks are not at the lower temperature at the point where they rub. Friction and the corresponding input of energy makes it locally hotter adjacent to the area where the sticks rub. Wood is a decent insulator so the sticks don't become uniformly warmer.

Read up on the 2nd law of thermodynamics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back