Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Temperature controller with multiple analog inputs

Status
Not open for further replies.

AligatorAmy

Bioengineer
Jun 10, 2017
IE
Hello,
I am looking for the PID temperature controller with at least 6 analog inputs (from 6 TCKs). I have came across Eurotherm company and the multiple analog input T controller (with 8 in/out):

Do you recommend other providers/makes?

P.S. The input from all 6 TCKs would need to be simultaneously displayed on a screen of such a controller to allow the operator easy access to cureent temperatures status.
P.P.S. In my machine I have 4 sub-assemblies and each of these sub-assemblies has 6 TCKs. In total, there are 5 machines.
Therefore, the option of using separate PID temperature controller for each TCK is not feasible.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It all depends on what is standard in your plant? I would try to stay with one manufacturer and if these are all upgrades try to upgrade with same product line. Think on ease of programming, support of products, installation, training, etc....

There a lot of process control manufacturers, decide on one that fits your needs.

Eurotherm are a well-respected company with a great range of PID controllers.
We have used them successfully for many years.
They tend to be fully-featured and more expensive than some brands.

Agree with the Eurotherm statement by Paul. That said, it can be a PITA to get exactly what you want and to wade thru the manuals and ultimately compromise on details of what you envisioned.

If it gets very complicated and out of the norm I reach for a little PLC and an appropriate type of user interface display and then write the controller myself. You happen to want an unusual number of inputs to run an output and that's the type project that often works better to have ultimate control of the 'system'. With a PLC you have a ton of options and the ability to 'oh yeah', I need to run a separate control loop for the flow and this valve and that heater and an idle setback and a standby and a cleaning mode and a service profile and and and which an Off-The-Shelf controller can not provide without a bunch of kludge around it.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back