Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

temperature dependent properties of steel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKJoe

Mechanical
Jun 6, 2005
SK
Hi,

I am seeking for temperature dependent properties of structural steels S235, S355, S460...to perform thermal analyses. Can anyone advise me web pages or title of some articles to find that ? I need this properties :

conductivity [W/mC]
surface convection coefficient [W/m2C]
specific heat [J/kgC]
density [kg/m3]
yield stress [Pa]
youngs modulus [Pa]
thermal expansion [-]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello SKJoe,

I'm working also on simulation with these steels (S235 and S355). I've found some properties for S235 for a range

-100ºC to 600ºC.

in fact I've found all properties of your list but "yield stress" and "surface convection coeff".

I'm needing "yield stress" for range

20ºC to 1000ºC

If you have this information I think we can give our e-mails and exchange the information.

What do you think?

Hi,
I seem to remember that yeld stress, ultimate stress and Young's Modulus are assumed constant, for these materials, as long as the allotropic state remains the same.
I don't find, in the material data tables I have, any indication of yeld-vs-temperature, neither do I for ultimate nor for E. If you need the normated UNI-EN values for these three items (yeld and ultimate depend upon the thickness), please tell.

Regards

You are not going to find out the surface convection coefficient in the material database, as it depends on the boundary conditions. The same steel part will have very different coefficients in different conditions: it will vay with the heat exchanging medium (water, air), and its speed and temperature, and many many other factors. Please refer to an Heat transfer textbook for more details.

The Yield stress is sometime called Rp0.2 o Sp0.2 in many textbook: the "yielding condition" has no precise meaning unless you specify the way the yielding has been measured.
Rp0.2 means that the residual deformation once the load has been removed is 0.2%.

Hope that helps.

Young's modulus does vary with temperature. Surface convection isn't a material property of couse. I don't have references for the properties I have but the yield stress property could be determined from the design stress at temperature, quoted in such design standards as BS 5500.

corus

Hi,
corus, you're right, but if you look at the mech and physical properties of S355J0, for example, in Stahlschluessel book (or its electronic database), you will find that there is no indication for the temperature-variation neither of Ry (or Rp02), nor of E. The same is true for every carbon non-alloyed structural steel. Instead, if you open the properties of, for example, 30CrNiMo8, you find tabular values both for Ry and for E as a function of temperature. That's where I seem to remember a simplification for the non-alloyed carbon structural steels, for which "normated" values of Ry and E could be assumed to be constant from the temperature where cold fragility occurs up to a temperature where the first allotropic change occurs (I don't remember exactly the value but it should be more than 1100°C). Or not? I'm curious... (though my application field doesn't deal with high temps...)

Regards

Generally E is fairly constant. From memory it goes down from about 210 GPa to about 180 GPa at 500C or there-abouts. Here's a link to the variation with temperature
The yield stress does go down more rapidly (looking at design stress values in the pressure vessel standards), particularly at about 400C, but that depends on the steel grade. At 400C you should be considering the effects of creep anyway. At 1000C it's totally different and we use various properties, strain dependent and so forth. A book, High Temperature Properties of Steel might be useful.

corus

Hi SkJoe,

You can search through ..however..i am copying the properties for S235(can also be called as S235JRH.

Yield stress Rp0,2 (MPa) 235 - -
Yield stress is Upper Yield Stress (ReH)
Tensile stress, Rm (MPa) 360 510 -
Elongation, A5 (%) 24.0 - -
Impact, Kv/Ku (J) 27 - -
Charpy V Notch (+ 20°C)
Hollow section; As rolled or normalized/normalized rolled; 3 < t <= 16 mm
Yield stress Rp0,2 (MPa) 235 - -
Tensile stress, Rm (MPa) 340 470 -
Impact, Kv/Ku (J) 27 - -
Charpy V Notch (+ 20°C)
Hollow section; As rolled or normalized/normalized rolled; 16 < t <= 40 mm
Yield stress Rp0,2 (MPa) 225 - -
Tensile stress, Rm (MPa) 340 470 -
Impact, Kv/Ku (J) 27 - -
Charpy V Notch (+ 20°C)

Regards,

Tobias

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back