Temperature distribution of powertrain and drivetrain components

Status
Not open for further replies.

karthiekn

Automotive
Jun 16, 2013
US
Hi,

I am new to this forum. So please excuse any inadvertent errors. I have a question regarding the temperature distribution in automotive components. For instance, if I want to develop a new surface coating for engine and other powertrain/drivetrain components, what temperatures must my coating withstand? I was able to obtain the temperatures of few components like the piston, cylinder head and spark plug. But how do I get an overall understanding of the component temperatures? And by temperatures I mean the surface temperatures of the components and not any coolant/lube oil temperature. I just need an approximate range of temperatures, say under normal operating conditions for a regular passenger car. Specifically, the surface temperatures of engine components, the gears, clutch, prop shaft, differential casing and the gears in there, etc. Can someone guide me in this direction?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ignoring the fluid temperatures makes no sense - if the parts are in constant contact with the fluid, they will have a similar temperature. A value of 150 degrees C is a good starting place as the typical maximum temperature for underhood components.

karthiekn-

As CoryPad noted, for components like transmission/diff housings that have a continuous flow of oil across their inner surfaces, you can probably assume the housing will be at the bulk oil temperature. However, the working surfaces of transmission/final drive gears are a different matter. The peak temperatures at the gear flank surfaces are based on oil film flash temperature occurring at the mesh contact zone. The local flash temperature rise is often 100degF higher than the bulk oil temperature. Flash temperatures also tend to be higher with gear contacts that involve significant relative sliding, such as the hypoid gears often used in final drives.

Hope that helps.
Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back