Temperature Ranges for Bolt Materials 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

keens

Mechanical
Mar 23, 2005
US
Gentlemen,

Does anyone know wher to find or have information on the Temperature Ranges for Bolt and Nut Material? Thanks...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes. I would recommend ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section II, Part D, Table 3. This table lists Code endorsed bolting material, allowable stress values as a function of service temperature and maximum permitted service temperature. One clarification, however, is SA-193 Grade B16 bolting material is permitted to 1100 deg F by ASME Section VIII, Div 1 rules, I would recommend you limit this material to 1000 deg F.

Thanks metengr,

I thought that was were I should be looking, thanks for putting me on the correct path. My only problem with using ASME Section II, Part D, Table 3, is that it does not give you the lowest temperature that the material can be used, it only starts at -20 Deg. F. I know SA-320 is used for Low Temp service, but this table does not list the lowest temp. Thanks again for the help. At least I know I have a starting place...

In ASME Section VIII Div 1 the allowable stresses in the -20 to 100 deg range can be used at colder temperatures as per General Note (f) to Table 1A of Section II Part D. However, the toughness requirements (impact testing, MDMT, etc) must also be met at the colder temperatures.

For carbon steel materials, impact test exemption temperatures for bolts and nuts are given in General Notes (e) and (f) to Figure UCS-66. 'Parts' for other material types (UHA, etc) may also list rules for exemption or MDMT rating for bolts of such materials.

Okay, it seems that UHA does not address impact test exemption of bolts. Am I overlooking something in UHA? Does anyone have some information on what the bolt MDMT rating should be in this case?

er, make that "the allowable stresses in the -20 to 100 deg range can be used at colder temperatures as per General Note (f) to Table 3 of Section II Part D." Table 3 is all the bolting materials.

Tom Barsh
Codeware Technical Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back